Tuesday 16 June 2009

Birthday Bound

This is my life at present:  I have 32 homemade vanilla cupcakes to bake, a super-duper-scrumpdiddlyumptious double-layer 5th birthday cake to concoct, various foodstuffs to prepare for tomorrow night's dinner for Eggie and family/friends, and of course a giant 5th birthday party to arrange for this Saturday - when we shall be overrun by 15 excited little people and an especially hired entertainer.  Makes me want to go back to bed just thinking about it.

Birthday parties are a big deal in our family.  (Well, the husband would disagree but he has no say in it - not really.)  My sisters and I grew up with the most fantastical parties, thanks to two of the best, most thoughtful parents who did everything in their power to make the day as magical as possible.  I have SUPER big shoes to fill, and secretly, I think I lack the energy and attention to detail which they possessed.

Egg's day will begin with him running excitedly out to the terrace to check his magic sunflower and see if once again this year it grew him a special birthday chocolate lolly.  It will have :)

Then he'll have his favourite breakfast of homemade blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and whipped cream, and scooter off to school carrying a special 'birthday lunch' comprising his favourite things:  an M&S cheese and celery sandwich, a bag of salt and vinegar crisps, and a giant chocolate chip cookie.  (I shall also flaunt the school's 'no chocolate' rule and include a Reeces Peanut Butter Cup, as they are his most favourite treat.)

Somehow I shall have to cart one excited 5 year old, one jealous 2.5 year old sibling and 32 daintily-iced cupcakes up the few blocks to school.  Upon returning home I shall immediately don my trusted and true apron and bake a giant birthday cake (I have been instructed that it must be 'Vamilla' with 'Vamilla' icing) and prepare some mini spinach and cheese filo pastries and a giant pasta salad.

By the time Eggie gets home from school I shall be imbibing the first of likely many glasses of ice cold pinot grigio and making myself presentable to greet the family and friends coming to celebrate the Egg Man's 5th Birthday.

Dumpie is beside himself with excitement and has even found time (between potty training himself) to practise singing 'Happy Birthday' to his brother.  He is keen to point out however that his birthday is coming and that it will be in London.

Yes Dumpie we know...and we can hardly wait (sigh)...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing. Can we come? Happy Birthday the Egg man!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!